This guitar plays and sounds as good as one could possibly hope for and dream of! Here is how the Spirit is built. The body wood is single-piece African mahogany. It is double chambered with a solid center and is topped with a maple cap which is carved using old world arching esthetics...
This guitar plays and sounds as good as one could possibly hope for and dream of!
Here is how the Spirit is built. The body wood is single-piece African mahogany. It is double chambered with a solid center and is topped with a maple cap which is carved using old world arching esthetics. The maple is sourced in northern Michigan. This gives the body, with its air chambers, a series of natural resonances that are in that punchy mid-range, yet it retains a distinctive low end. It is bound with single ivory on top and an SG\ES335 style mahogany neck is attached with 19 frets clear of the body. The neck is made and shaped to 1959 specifications. Hide glue is used for the neck joint and to attach the fingerboard. The body then gets routed for double humbuckers. A stop tailpiece and a Tune-O-Matic bridge are perfectly aligned. Only the best quality vintage style tuners are used, in addition to pots, wiring and of course PAF style pickups.
So that the guitar will feel like a well-worn pair of jeans the nickel plated hardware and nitrocellulose lacquer are antiqued just enough to make it look comfortable. Some extra time is taken to buff out the finish on the wheel and by hand, and it’s ready to ship in a plush lined form-fit hardshell case.
- Body: semi-hollow African mahogany with a curly red maple carved cap
- Lower bout: 13 3/4"
- Middle bout: 8 1/16"
- Upper bout: 10"
- Body length: 17"
- Body depth: 1 3/4"
- Old growth Honduran mahogany neck
- Rosewood fretboard
- Inlaid with cellulose nitrate stylized blocks
- Bound fretboard with "nubs"
- Nut: bone, hand-fitted, 1 11/16"
- Neck dimensions: .92 at the first fret, 1.02 at the 12th fret
- Body joins neck at 19th fret
- Finish: nitrocellulose lacquer
- Color: cherry sunburst and cherry red back, sides and neck
- Peghead: black lacquer with inlaid crest and McKay logo in white pear
- Rolled binding on the fretboard for comfort
- Hardware: Kluson nickel-plated single-ring tuners with white keystones
- Nickel plated Kluson stop tailpiece
- Tune-matic no wire bridge
- Lightly aged hardware
- McKay-Barley deluxe hand wired harness with genuine Luxe Bumblebee caps
- Two volume, two tone
- Wizz PAF pickups
- Hardshell case included