The 7-JKS was designed specifically as a work-a-day tool for Winnipeg poet-songsmith John K Samson. Samson is the former bassist and guitarist with punk-metal thrashers Propagandhi and later rock-folkists the Weakerthans...
The 7-JKS was designed specifically as a work-a-day tool for Winnipeg poet-songsmith John K Samson. Samson is the former bassist and guitarist with punk-metal thrashers Propagandhi and later rock-folkists the Weakerthans. Originally, John wanted a bare-bones small-bodied, light-weight rock machine that would stay in tune, not bite him when the going got rough and be able to handle a range of intensities of playing (he'll be playing a melancholic fingerstyle song, the next a ferocious onslaught). Al Beardsell convinced Samson to have a neck pickup (just for fun, now Samson plays that position almost exclusively), and a tailpiece (Samson had been using a single p-90 and a tail-bridge on a Melody-maker) for stability. The chambered body with bound back-cap is reminiscent of the Rickenbacker as are the deeply rounded-over sides that won't rap your knuckles when things get out of hand.
For this version Beardsell has added a Bigsby B5 and a Schaller roller bridge for a bit of wiggle-room since the neck is double reinforced with carbon fiber and a stainless two-way truss rod (mortise & tenon set-neck). Stainless frets, aged chrome, dirty tobacco-burst, and Bakelite pickguard is the look. A scatter-wound P-90 (high wound, 42awg, A5, 8.8H) and balanced output mini-humbucker in the neck (high-wound, 43awg, A5, 6H) controlled by a treble-bled volume for on-board gain control is the sound. It's a killer machine.
- Body: espave
- Back cap: espave
- Internal structure: chambered
- Internal treatment: back cap
- Neck: mahogany
- Scale: 24.9"
- Neck profile: Cee-Vee teardrop, offset semi-vee shape
- Fretboard: pau ferro
- Fretboard radius: 16"
- Fret material/make: stainless steel, SM 152
- Fret count: 24
- Head inlay: logo only
- Fret markers: top rail, side dot/rail
- Nut material: bleached beef bone
- Truss rod: chromed steel 2-way
- Neck rods: 2 x passive carbon-fibre
- Neck pickup: mini-humbucker--A5, 43ga, 9k
- Bridge pickup: P-90--A5, 42ga, 10K
- Pickup type: passive
- Cover/material: P90--black plastic, mini--nickel
- Controls: volume, tone, 3-way selector
- Pots: 500k CTS
- Treble bleed: Yes--0.001uf/150k
- Tone cap: 0.022uf orange drop
- Bridge: Schaller chrome roller
- Tailpiece: Bigsby B-5
- Jack: Switchcraft 1/4"
- Jack mount: Electrosocket
- Tuners: Gotoh 510 Delta series w/ebony buttons
- Control knobs: buffalo horn black
- Switch: Switchcraft 3-way toggle
- Finish: amber-to-black burst
- Case: Ameritage silver custom fitted
- Pickguard: bakelite, black
- Pickup mounts: P-90 screwed to body, mini-hum surround bracket
- Nut width: 1 11/16"
- Spacing: 2 1/8"
- Body depth: 1 5/8"
- Body width: 12.5"
- Body length: 17.5"
- Overall length: 39.5"
- Finish type: hand-applied burst, epoxy, and WB lacquer