Introducing the Thunder Child handcrafted electric guitar. A delicate sound of thunder echoes in the distance, rain is pouring outside. You pick up your dream guitar, plug it into the amp and fill the room with bell-like chimes, or perhaps a ferocious growl...
Introducing the Thunder Child handcrafted electric guitar.
A delicate sound of thunder echoes in the distance, rain is pouring outside. You pick up your dream guitar, plug it into the amp and fill the room with bell-like chimes, or perhaps a ferocious growl. This stunning and fantastic sounding guitar is a result of another epic journey and research for the holy grail of tone.
The inspiration for this instrument came from varied sources. You will be able to find echoes of fast and furious classic cars from the time of epic journeys and innovative designs. With a chambered old growth red cedar body and Port Orford cedar neck, the Thunder Child is super lightweight (2.25 kg - 4.9 lbs.), and could probably be considered to be one of the lightest electric guitars on the planet.
With its responsive top and traditional Shou Sugi Ban (Japanese Charred cedar finish), you have yourself a tone to die for. The combination of lightweight Port Orford cedar neck and semi-hollow red cedar body gives an unbelievably responsive feel, woven with complex overtones that make for its warm and rich signature sound.
The guitar is equipped with the most authentic Lipstick pickup replica being produced today by Dano expert Doug Tulloch. The pickup is made with the correct full-size Alnico 6 magnets based on an original 1959 era magnet. Each magnet is then friction taped before winding exactly as the originals were. The best available vintage correct 42 AWG plain enamel coil wire is used, and most importantly, it is wound directly onto the magnet. The vintage style aluminum mounting brackets are all made custom in-house on the very jigs pickup designer Tom Holmes designed/built for Jerry Jones Guitars.
Tone Revival's unique handmade hardware is made from a special brass alloy for improved tone and better resonance.
Just like any guitar Tone Revival builds, the benchmark is "The Cable Test." The guitar has got to sound amazing with just one cable between the guitar and the amp with its pure tone. No effects. No filters. No enhancements.
Tone Revival's mission is to build you an instrument that will be your lifelong companion on your journey; to create an heirloom quality instrument. - something that will leave its mark across generations.
May the god of thunder be with you!
- Body: light weight old growth red cedar
- Top: super responsive, lightweight old growth red cedar
- Neck: Port Orford cedar
- Fingerboard: rosewood/ziricote
- Neck thickness: 21mm (.825") @ 1st fret, 23.5mm (.925") @ 12th fret
- Nut material: bone/Graphtech TUSQ
- Nut width: 42mm
- Fret size: medium/high
- Scale length: Long scale, 25.5"
- Fingerboard radius: dead flat / 20" / 16" / 12"
- Neck joint: bolt on
- Neck profile: soft V shape
- Inlay: pearloid dots
- Truss rod: dual action
- Headstock: slotted
- Tailpiece/bridge: Tone Revival "Veloce" aged solid brass w/ Wilkinson adjustable compensated saddles
- Pickup covers: Tone Revival thick aged brass covers for improved shielding
- Jack plate: Tone Revival "Two Bearded Men" aged brass
- Neck plate: Tone Revival "Two Bearded Men" aged brass
- Toggle switch plate: Tone Revival "Jupiter" aged brass
- Knobs: Tone Revival "Broad-cast" aged brass
- Tuning machines: Golden Age Restoration/Waverly (+ $200)
- Strings: Rotosound .010-.046 (other gauges available on request)
- Pickups: Doug Tulloch custom lipsticks
- Potentiometers: CTS
- Capacitors: Orange Drops
- Toggle switch: Switchcraft 3-way
- Wiring: vintage harness, braided wire
- Jack: Switchcraft
WEIGHT AND DIMENTIONS
- Body thickness: 43mm (1 11/16")
- Body length: 416mm (16 3/8")
- Body width: 327mm (12 7/8")
- Total length: 945mm (37 7/32")
- Weight: 2.25 kg / 5 lbs (yes- including strings!!!!)
- starting at $2,870.00