The folk rock revolution might never have fired a single shot without the signature weapon in its arsenal, the electric 12-string guitar. Its crisp jingle-jangle also rang loud during the first flowering of psychedelia...
The folk rock revolution might never have fired a single shot without the signature weapon in its arsenal, the electric 12-string guitar.
Its crisp jingle-jangle also rang loud during the first flowering of psychedelia. In recent decades, Tom Petty and others have revived its unique sound. But anyone who has played an electric 12-string from its golden age knows just how problematic many of those instruments could be; everything from string spacing to intonation is often off.
Versoul's Raya 12 is impressively 'on' in all the right places. The heart of the matter is its body of Finnish alder and an extraordinary scale length (26.75"), aiding the instrument's robust resonance. There's the laminated aspen and maple neck as well, crowned by an East Indian rosewood fingerboard. These elements lend the Raya 12 a near-orchestral sound palette, and you don't have to fight it for optimal results. Its low action and generous width at the nut make it the most playable electric 12-string imaginable. Whether you strum chords, pick single notes or play with your fingers, the Raya 12 was designed for ease of playability by any and all means. Solving the trouble-prone intonation of 12-strings, the Gotoh bridge design enables precise fine-tuning of each string. Here's an electric 12-string that may inspire you to start a musical revolution of your own.
- Body: two piece solid Finnish alder
- Bridge: Gotoh, fully adjustable for fine tuning each string
- Nut: moose shin bone
- Neck: aspen/maple/aspen, bolt-on, two-way adjustable truss rod
- Fingerboard: rosewood, 12" radius
- Frets: 21 / Dunlop 6130
- Tuners: Gotoh Mini, chrome plated
- Pickguard: tortoise shell plastic
- Colors: black, cool blue, dark purple, terracotta
- Pickups: dual Versoul single coils or humbuckers, chrome plated covers
- Controls: one volume, one tone, 3-way Switchcraft switch
- Finish: nitrocellulose lacquer
- Dots: green abalone shell
- Position marks: gold leaf
- Nut: moose shinbone
- Knobs: round metal
- Neck width at nut: 46.5 mm
- Scale length: 25.4" or 26" (66 cm)
- Overall length: 1020 mm
- Raya 12: inquire
- Custom finishes
- Gold plated hardware
- Chambered body
- Custom inlays
- Custom bindings