The old masters of vintage blues and hillbilly music often tuned resonator guitars down to open chordal tunings, especially when playing slide style. Typically this meant tuning half the instrument's strings down a whole step...
The old masters of vintage blues and hillbilly music often tuned resonator guitars down to open chordal tunings, especially when playing slide style. Typically this meant tuning half the instrument's strings down a whole step. Imagine what wondrous sounds they might have conjured, had they been able to tune down as low as three whole steps below standard tuning!
While it's too late for Tampa Red and Cliff Carlisle, contemporary players may plumb the deepest depths of the resophonic sound sea, thanks to Versoul's ResoSun 6-string acoustic baritone resonator guitar. Like all Versoul baritones, this one boasts a 26.75" scale length. Its bolt-on neck of quartersawn aspen and maple joins the body at the 13th fret. And what a body! Unlike the old Depression-era plywood resonator guitars, this gem boasts a two-piece solid European spruce top and back and sides of either solid East Indian rosewood or solid European curly maple. The result? A fresh blend of the dynamic brashness offered by the National-style metal cone with the complex clarity uniquely delivered by the finest tone woods. You won’t find another acoustic resophonic guitar like this!
Playability is every bit as crucial as sound, and to that end this guitar's neck width (44.5 mm at nut, 60 mm max width) and string spacing are especially designed to facilitate fingerpicking and slide playing. It's also designed to capture the eye as well as the ear. You may choose between a steel cover plate with laser cut soundholes depicting ancient Finnish shamans or one of laminated birch veneer with a gold leaf finish and sunbeam soundholes. Both cover plates are visual delights. Other available options include Versoul's unique Rattlenator percussion device and amplification via a transducer AKG C411PP contact condenser microphone.
- Body: solid red cedar top
- Back & sides: solid maple
- Bindings: maple w/ wooden purflings on body
- Nut: moose shinbone
- Tailpiece: Versoul East Indian rosewood
- Neck: round Finnish aspen/maple/aspen w/ two-way adjustable steel truss rod
- Neck joint: bolt-on, 13 frets to body neck joint
- Fingerboard: East Indian rosewood (16" radius)
- Frets: 19 / Dunlop 6230
- Tuners: Gotoh SE700 nickel plated
- Colors: natural, black, terracotta, dark purple
- Resonator: National style cone by Beard or other manufacturers
- Bridge: Versoul maple biscuit
- Finish: nitrocellulose lacquer
- Resonator coverplate: gold leaf plated w/ sun beam soundholes
- Peghead inlays: gold leaf
- Nut: moose shinbone
- Neck width at nut: 44.5 mm
- Scale length: 26 3/4"
- Body thickness: 98 mm max
- Reso Sun 6 Baritone: inquire
- AKG C411PP under-bridge contact condenser mic w/ phantom power adapter
- Solid East Indian rosewood or elm back and sides
- Solid European spruce top
- Gold plated tuners
- Shaman resonator cover plate
- Different cone cover platings: antique silver, antique copper or gold
- Versoul Rattlenator for acoustic fuzz effect